We'd love to help you with your horse training needs. However, like all relationships, it's important that we are a good fit. Before sending a horse to us for training, we'd like to share with you the following points which are the foundation of our horse training philosophy. We encourage you to come and meet us, watch us work with our own and other client horses or attend a lesson or clinic with Andrew. We believe that the horse itself is the best judge and advertisement for the trainer and it's important that you understand how we approach our training.
Our Training Philosophy
- Horses are individuals and we treat them as such. We will not treat your horse like a non-feeling and non-sensing machine and turn it into an ‘obedient robot’ that is ‘shut-down’ with no life left in it that you ride by pushing buttons.
- All horses who come to us receive a solid foundation on the ground before progressing to ridden work. This enables us to observe the horse’s individual learning style, start building softness and self-carriage for good posture and assess any potential lameness or biomechanic issues relating to conformation or past injuries. The time spent on the ground depends entirely on the individual horse and its progress.
- We train horses with feel, timing and balance using primarily the rider’s intention, seat and legs to communicate with the horse (this is based much more on classical principles than modern training methods). If you are a rider who relies heavily on the reins to communicate with your horse you will need to learn this new way of communicating along with your horse in order for you both to speak the same language.
- We can only give you an estimate of ‘how long’ the training may take once we have gotten to know your horse, its current level of training, any problem behaviours / issues and your own skill level and experience. The minimum training time for which we take horses is 2 weeks.
- If you are bringing a horse to us for starting under saddle we ask you to be involved in the process as much as possible (time and where you live permitting). Before starting your horse we need to know your level of skill, experience and confidence as a rider as taking on a green started horse is very different to riding an experienced horse.
- We do not encourage green riders to take on green horses because green horses require their riders to help them with confidence and good timing to ensure that they continue to develop into a great, safe riding horse after receiving a solid foundation. If we don’t believe that you and your horse are a good match we will be honest with you but if you are dedicated to learning along with your horse and it is possible to do so safely we will encourage you all the way.
Our training fees start from $350 per week (groundwork) to $450 per week (ridden education). The fee depends on the type and length of training required. We also have arrangements available for long term / ongoing training at a reduced rate after the initial training period. All training fees include full board agistment with ad lib hay and hardfeed in either individual yard or group paddock.
Our minimum time to book a horse for training is two weeks for groundwork and six weeks for ridden education. For starting under saddle we recommend 6-10 weeks depending on the horse's level of groundwork / foundation training. Many owners choose to keep their horses with us for several months to create a solid foundation and advanced education. Our full terms of service and training agreement will be discussed when you book your horse for training.